Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Sith Hits The Fans: Jake and Jeremy Go To Star Wars (and other tales from Victoria)

A combination of available time off and a motherly guilt trip meant I spent two brief days visiting in Victoria on the weekend. I got to see my moms, who I haven't seen since Christmas (yes, I am a bad son), and my homeboys, Jeremy and Greg.
Every time I go back to the island, it's like a trip down memory lane. I think I could even live in Victoria, despite the weather. And hairy-legged women.
I arrived on Sunday night, and got to spend some time with my mom. Somehow, the conversation turned to adoption, and of my long-lost half-sister, who my mom has been searching for for many years. Knowing that I have a sister out there somewhere, who I have never met, and probably doesn't even know I exist, is a strange and motivating feeling. I decided to join the search, with step one being registering with the NYC adoption list. That way, anyone wishing to track down their birth family can do so... but it involves the adoptee making the first step. I wonder if she will, or if she's carried a burden of bitterness all these years, and wants nothing to do with her mother. We'll see.
Day 2 on De Island, I was woken up by Rave-On, my newest and furriest sibling. My mom's Portugese Water Dog elects to wake me in the morning by A) Gnawing on my feet, or B) Head-butting and licking me to death, or C) all of the above.
Let me tell you, it's a wonderful way to start the day.
After lunch with Kool and the Gang (my name for some long-time family friends, whose last name happens to be Kool), I hooked up with Jumbo before we went to see Star Wars. The last time I was in town, the two of us regressed rather embarassingly, with his wife calling Jeremy on his cellphone at 4:30 a.m., going "Umm, where are you?" So, needless to say, she seemed rather dubious when I promised that there would be no repeat performance....
Star Wars was cool. Cheesy, lots of great special effects, campy dialogue .... everything you could want in a Star Wars movie. I have closure now, too...
We hooked up with the Tower of Power, Greg, after the movie, and hit the Sticky Wicket's roof-top patio for several jugs and lots of commiserating. Good times, good times. Except that Jumbo talked about his brand-new Ipod mini WAAY too much. Two words for you, my friend ... "Mine's Bigger" ... ;)
While Jeremy got home without incurring the Wrath of Annie, I stumbled in the doors at about 4:30 a.m., and missed my 8 a.m. breakfast call with my mom. I think she took pity on me - especially after the dog accosted me in bed.
But that was the weekend, and I'm back in K-town now. Back to the grind, back to chores, back to work. Life goes on...

PEACE

Oh ya... one more thing... thanks to everyone who dropped a dime and gave me their two cents on my last post (see below). I appreciate the thoughts, the wisdom, and the "Boy, are you CRAZY?" that everyone gave me. The situation is very plain to see, even if I already knew it before ... Life goes on.

1 Comments:

At 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey jake, so now i have previewed the blog and read everything and listened to the music...very cool, very kool. so what was anya doing in the playboy mansion? i thought of you as i listened to the news of the houseboat...that was very sad, a crummy way to learn about boats and tip-ability. darn! hugs from the simcoe street madhouse.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home