Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Winds of Change are a-blowin

The mushroom cloud that is the doom surrounding the world's economic woes doesn't seem quite as threatening as it once did. Sure, you can look at all the money that you once had — "And poof! It was gone... " Doyle would say — but I'm viewing it more as an opportunity.
Canwest, the company that owns the Province, where I now work, is swimming in red ink. Bleeding, some would say. Being one of the more recent hires, I could find myself on the chopping block. It was a concern, for a while. I had seen what it did from one friend, who went from running multi-million-dollar developments to handing out resumes for serving positions at nightclubs. It was humbling.
But I have come to see it as an opportunity. Think of newspapers as a dinosaur, looking blankly up at the giant mushroom cloud on the horizon - the economic meteor of doom - with the realization that the inevitable shock wave will wipe them from existence.
I have to think about my future, and it's somewhat liberating to think I can start something new. But just what, remains to be seen. Broadcast journalism, maybe? I keep being told I would be a natural at it, but ... well, I just can't see myself as Cabbie on the Street. Maybe a skinnier version... ;)
I've sometimes dreamed of sailing a catamaran around the Cape, up the coast and across to the mediterranean, and financially, that's viable. So is becoming a beach bum in Hawaii. But I guess I have to figure out if I really like sailing or tropical beaches that much first.
Which brings me to this: the last seven months, more than any previous in my life, have heralded in change. Internal change. External change. A change in circumstances... geography... global issues. My life now is so far removed from the comfortable, insulated habitation I enjoyed in Kelowna, it almost feels like a rebirth.
However, instead of the pubescent anxiousness over what the future might bring, I feel only eager anticipation. And that, too, is a change.

4 Comments:

At 10:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hawaii! Hawaii! Hawaii!

 
At 9:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Jake- for real, if u are thinking about sailing in a catamaran this year and want some insight talk to my sister. As i probably told u she did the trans-atalantic crossing this fall/winter from Spain to St Lucia in a catamaran.
Now of course, u should be lucky enuf to not have any alcoholic sociopaths onboard.....i hope.

 
At 1:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paradise is only a stones throw away...the "Jewel of the Gulf Islands" - Gabriola Island, B.C.
People travel from all over the world to visit (hint)
namaste'

 
At 1:41 AM , Blogger Friv games said...

Come to Kizi 4 , you will have the opportunity to discover thousands of the hottest games in the world with many genres such as action games, puzzle games, strategy games, fashion games or racing games. Click now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home